It might seem outrageously arrogant to call your recipe the greatest in the universe, but please hear me out…
We’ve all tried double cooked chips, we’ve tried triple cooked chips, and we’ve tried cooking chips in cold oil. We’ve tried everything to find the perfect chip. But they all face one crucial challenge – are they crispy enough?!
This. This is the answer you have been looking for. Try these now, and thank me later!
The Greatest Chips in the Universe
Chips that are practically perfect in every way! Insanely crispy and crunchy on the outside, with a beautifully fluffy inside!
- 1 kg Maris Piper potatoes (or other floury potato)
- 2 tsp fine salt
- 150 ml sunflower oil
- Preheat the oven to 120c / 100c fan.
- Peel and thinly slice the potatoes, using a mandolin if available.
- Toss together the thinly sliced potatoes with the salt and oil, ensuring that everything is evenly coated.
- Line a 2lb loaf tin (or other similarly sized heatproof dish) with baking parchment, then layer all the potato slices on top, discarding any excess oil
- Fold the baking parchment down on top of the potatoes, to prevent browning.
- Place the loaf tin into the oven, and confit for 3 hours.
- When the 3 hours are up, remove the potatoes from the oven, and allow them to cool completely.
- Weigh the potatoes down (I used a couple of tin cans), and then leave in the fridge until thoroughly chilled. I left mine overnight, but a few hours should do it.
- In a large saucepan, heat 5cm of sunflower oil to 190c
- Carefully remove the potato mass from the loaf tin, and place onto a chopping board, peeling off the baking parchment.
- Cut the block into ‘fingers’ about 2cm wide, and then fry in small batches of 2-3
- Fry for approximately 4 minutes, until the outside of the chips are appetisingly golden brown
- Serve immediately, with your favourite dipping sauce.
Serving: 1chipCalories: 159kcalCarbohydrates: 10gProtein: 2gFat: 13gSaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 396mgPotassium: 344mgFiber: 2gVitamin C: 10mgCalcium: 25mgIron: 3mg
Tried this recipe? I’d love to see your work!Share on Instagram @danbeasleyharling or tag #danbeasleyharling
Share on Twitter @dbeasleyharling or tag #danbeasleyharling.