It’s hard to imagine my life before I discovered salted caramel.
The salt balances out the intense sweetness of the caramel perfectly, and every flavour note is heightened with its presence. Salted caramel is so incredibly versatile, it should already be in every baker’s arsenal – expect me to call back to this recipe many times, especially for all manner of cakes and ice-creams!
Salted Caramel Sauce
A staple of the baker's store cupboard – a sticky caramel sauce with added salty goodness!
- 300 g sugar
- 300 ml double cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Weigh the sugar into a large saucepan, and cover with just enough water to give it the consistency of wet sand.Be cautious with the water, or making the caramel will take a lot longer!
- Place the saucepan over a medium-high heat, and use a wet pastry brush to wash any sugar crystals off the sides of the saucepan.DO NOT STIR THE CARAMEL AT ANY POINT!
- Periodically wash down the insides of the saucepan as the caramel cooks.
- Add the vanilla extract to the cream, ready for later.
- As the caramel starts to colour, begin to swirl the pan regularly; the caramel can easily burn.
- When the caramel has reached a deep amber colour, remove the pan from the heat, and slowly whisk in the cream and vanilla.The formation of lumps is almost unavoidable at this point.
- Once the cream is all added and the spluttering has subsided, return the pan to a low heat, and gently melt the hard caramel back into the sauce.
- Add the sea salt and stir to incorporate.
- Place a dollop of the hot caramel onto a saucer, and after a couple of minutes give it a taste. Add extra salt to the caramel if desired, but be careful not to add too much!
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Calories: 110kcalCarbohydrates: 15gProtein: 1gFat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 122mgPotassium: 11mgSugar: 15gVitamin A: 221IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 10mg
Tried this recipe? I’d love to see your work!Share on Instagram @danbeasleyharling or tag #danbeasleyharling
Share on Twitter @dbeasleyharling or tag #danbeasleyharling.