After years of tinkering with granola recipes, this is my current favourite. In fact, I’ve stopped looking for ways to improve it; I know what I like, and I’ve found it!
Making granola is super easy, and it gives you the chance to customise your breakfast just how you like it – you can change up the fruit, nuts, and flavourings to suit your personal taste, but I promise you won’t go far wrong with this one.
Orange and Cinnamon Granola
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 8 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp orange extract
- 1 pinch fine salt
- 300 g rolled oats
- 300 g bran flakes
- 100 g chopped hazelnuts
- 50 g pumpkin seeds
- 50 g sunflower seeds
- 100 g sultanas
- 50 g coconut flakes
- Preheat the oven to 150c / 130c fan.
- In a large bowl, measure out the vegetable oil, honey, maple syrup, ground cinnamon, vanilla extract, orange extract, and salt. Stir everything together.
- (Pro tip: It’s easier to get all the honey off the measuring spoon if you alternate the oil and honey)
- Add the oats, bran flakes, hazelnuts, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds into the large bowl containing the wet ingredients.
- Fold the mixture carefully with a large metal spoon, coating all the drying ingredients.
- Divide the granola between two large baking pans, and shake into an even layer.
- Bake the granola for 15 minutes, then add half of the sultanas to each pan, and give everything a good stir.
- Finally, sprinkle the coconut flakes over the surface of the granola, and bake for a further 10-15 minutes, until the coconut is pleasingly browned, but not too dark!
- Remove the granola from the oven, and transfer into a cold tray to cool quickly and avoid over baking.
- When cold, give everything a good stir together, and then transfer into an airtight container.
- Serve with fruit, yoghurt, milk, or simply eat as it is!